Saturday, September 14, 2013

Gimme, I Got it First



Hello,

Years ago, I heard this story in India. I used the lesson while teaching, and then wrote it in a story. Upon reading the story, a Jewish friend told me that it was a Jewish story. I added a sentence in the story that acknowledges the existence of a Jewish story with the same idea.

Children's squabbles are universal. They generally get resolved, amicably or not. In today's story, two older children help the younger siblings, a set of twins, to solve a little problem of sharing.

The story is suitable for 5-6-year old children.

Meera


Gimme, I Got it First

Bhaiya=Brother, 
Ruckus = noise
Didi=older sister

Five-year-old, Suchi screamed, “Gimme; I got it out from under the bed.”
Her twin, Soori screeched louder, “I told you how to get it out with a broom.”
Suchi said, “I brought the broom from the kitchen.”
Their thirteen-year-old brother, Sagar walked into the room, “What’s the ruckus, guys?”
Back in the kitchen, nine-year-old, Sapna tied an apron and got ready to help their mom wash and cut a watermelon at the kitchen sink.
Soori said, “Bhaiya, I don’t want to share. She rolled it to me; so I go first.”
Suchi frowned, “Bhaiya, I pushed it out with a broom, and she grabbed it.”
Soori said, “I get to play with it first.”
Suchi smiled, “I have to learn dribbling. It’s my homework.”
Sagar said, “Time out girls, I need Sapna didi’s help for this.”
Soori said, “Are we going to have some Indian King’s court, Bhaiya?”
Sagar said, “You guessed it, Kiddo. Please give me the ball.”
Soori made a face and gave the ball to Sagar.
He dribbled it towards the kitchen, “Sapna, Your Majesty, it's time for your court.”
Sapna said, “Are the twins at war? I’ll be there in a sec!”  She washed her hands and came to the den.
Sagar and Sapna talked with each other in whispers.
Soori said, “Bhaiya, if you want, I’ve got a princess crown.”
Sagar said, “Sure, bring it along.” He gave the ball to Sapna to hold for a few minutes,
Soori found the crown, and placed it on Sapna’s head, “There—perfect.”
In the kitchen, mom put the first cut in the melon.
Suchi called, “Mo…m…”
Mom said, “Bhaiya is in charge. Take your complaint to him.” She finished slicing the watermelon; she also came to the den and sat on a sofa.
Suchi plopped down on a chair across from Mom. 
Soori sat on the sofa’s armrest.
Sapna-Emperor rolled the ball in her lap, “Where is my friend and adviser Birbal?”
“Here I am, Your Majesty.” Sagar-Birbal bowed.
Akbar-Sapna said, “Birbal, how are we going to handle the girls' fight over one ball?”
Sagar-Birbal bowed, "Your Majesty, you solved the case of two women fighting over one baby."
Suchi said, “I know a Jewish story about two women fighting over a baby.”
Akbar-Sapna said, “Quiet in my court. Birbal, where is the royal butcher?”
Mom got up and bowed, “Here I am, Your Majesty.”
Akbar-Sapna said, “Good. Bring your sharpest knife.”
“Your Majesty.” Mom-the butcher, bowed and went into the kitchen. She returned in a few moments with the knife.
Akbar-Sapna said, “Royal Butcher, I want you to cut this ball, right here.”
Soori got off the hand rest of the sofa, “Didi, Your Majesty, wait, you’re gonna wreck the ball. Please gimme the ball ’cause I got it out.”
Suchi said, “It was my idea, so I go first.”
Akbar-Sapna said, “Hmm...you leave me no choice. Royal butcher, cut the ball in two equal parts.”
The butcher-Mom bowed, “Your Majesty.”
Suchi widened her eyes, “Oh, no, you’re not really cutting it, Mom?
Emperor-Sapna said, “Silence. Either we cut the ball or we lock it away.”  
Soori whispered, “Hey, Sis, how about we take turns playing with it?” She faced Sagar, “Right, Bhaiya?”
Sagar nodded.
Suchi shrugged, “It’s better than cutting the ball.”
The twins played with the ball for a long time.


The End



© 2013, Meera Desai Shah

No comments:

Post a Comment